Friday, July 29, 2011

Laura: I'm Coming Home, I'm Coming Home...

So I pretty much fail at this blog thing (blame the internet situation?) because a lot has happened since I last wrote: I entered a new decade in life, ended up reading 5 Kathy Reichs novels (in my defense, she ends every chapter with a cliffhanger like "But that wouldn't be the only surprise of my day" that leaves you wondering WHAT'S THE OTHER SURPRISE?! so you keep reading), and Bernard was shot on 7 de laan (don't worry, he lived). I'll try to do a quick recap on the past two weeks:

Two weekends ago (16th/17th): This weekend was very jam-packed since it was our last full weekend in Cape Town. Saturday morning we went to the Neighbourgoods Market, which is by far the best farmer's market I've every been to. All the food looked delicious and it was hard to choose, but my love for pancakes won out. After shopping in the afternoon, I finally saw Harry Potter (great birthday present btw Cerianne). As an added bonus, movie tickets in South Africa are a lot cheaper in the states, which was pretty exciting. Sunday morning, we went on a township tour, which I probably can't actually give justice to in a few sentences, so ask me about it in person if you want to hear about it. Sunday night I watched the Women's World Cup final, where my heart was broken as the USA lost in penalty kicks. I was so upset and filled with energy that I ran the two blocks back home (my host sister lives with her husband), which I realized was a mistake after dogs started chasing me. Nonetheless, I survived to see the rest of the week.

Last weekend (23rd/24th): For the first time, we stayed in Mamre for the weekend and didn't travel to Cape Town. Saturday, Sarah (the other volunteer) and I, went to a netball tournament with our host sister, Zaria, who coaches a team at the school she teaches at. It was nice to see a sport tournament again, even though I don't fully understand netball, and definitely made me miss the days of my own soccer tournaments. Sunday was my birthday (thanks for the shout out Cerianne) and actually was more eventful that I predicted. We went to church in the morning, although I didn't understand much because it was in Afrikaans. Then my host mother made a huge lunch and Zaria and her husband Orrin came over and we all ate together, which was fantastic. We then traveled to Canal Walk to see a movie with Zaria and Orrin and on the way home I saw the most awesome shooting star I've ever seen. It was the perfect ending to the day.

Today I said goodbye to my host mother and the pre-primary school kids. It was very sad to be leaving them all, but reassurances that we could keep in touch made me feel better. It feels weird to say goodbye to South Africa (at least for now), but I'm excited to be home in summer weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment